September 13, 1772
Joseph Mathurin Bourg, the first Acadian priest to take holy orders, is ordained in Montreal. One year later, Father Bourg is appointed missionary to Acadia, and establishes his headquarters at Carleton on Chaleur Bay.
September 13, 1984
His Holiness Pope John Paul II visits Moncton as part of his Canadian tour and celebrates mass on the Magnetic Hill site.
September 14, 1864
New Brunswick and Canadian delegates from the Charlottetown Conference arrive in Saint John, from Halifax (Nova Scotia). A banquet is held at Stubb’s Hotel, where the Canadians are toasted with the singing of “For They are Jolly Good Fellows”.
September 14, 1867
Auguste Renaud, of Bouctouche, becomes the first Acadian elected to the Canadian House of Parliament.
September 14, 1896
The American feminist, Julia Ward Howe, speaks on the North American Suffrage Movement before a large audience in Saint John, at a national convention organized by the Women’s Enfranchisement Association of New Brunswick.
September 14, 2004
In Nackawic, the St.-Anne Nackawic pulp mill unexpectedly closes its doors, throwing 400 people out of work, affecting hundreds of others and sending shockwaves throughout New Brunswick’s forest-based economy.
September 15, 1750
Charles Lawrence returns to Beaubassin (Amherst, Nova Scotia), to establish Fort Lawrence on the eastern side of the Missaguash River; while the Chevalier de La Corne and Abbé Le Loutre begin to establish Fort Beauséjour (Aulac) on the western bank.
September 15, 1826
The cornerstone is laid for the Old Arts Building of King’s College (University of New Brunswick), in Fredericton, by Lieutenant-Governor Sir Howard Douglas. Designed by John Elliot Woolford, the new building is opened on January 1, 1829.
September 15, 1849
The "Teal" sails from Saint John, bound for California and the Gold Rush.
September 15, 1864
Canadian delegates from the Charlottetown Conference, George-Étienne Cartier, George Brown and Alexander Galt, travel to Fredericton by steamer from Saint John, where they are hosted by Lieutenant-Governor Sir Arthur Hamilton Gordon.
September 15, 1977
Radio station CJVA in Caraquet commences transmitting.
September 16, 1839
Described as "the poor man's friend", George Fenety starts the first penny newspaper in the Maritimes, in Saint John. "The Commercial News and General Advertiser" is later called the "Morning News".
September 16, 1858
Andrew Bonar Law, Great Britain’s only Prime Minister from outside the British Isles, is born in the Manse at Kingston (Rexton) – Bonar Law Historic Site.
September 16, 1915
The 26th Battalion ("New Brunswick's Fighting 26th") departs England and lands at Boulogne (France). Later, they participate in capturing Courcelette and taking more than 1,000 prisoners.
September 16, 2001
An estimated 50 non-Native fishing boats terrorize Native fishers and cut Native lobster pots, after Burnt Church Natives are issued a food fishery license providing unrestricted fishing rights within a specified fishing zone.
September 17, 1758
British troops, under the command of James Murray, destroy the first stone church built in New Brunswick, located at Burnt Church.
September 17, 1902
Long-distance automobile travel is inaugurated in New Brunswick as J.C. Miller of Millerton, near Newcastle, drives his Oldsmobile to Fredericton in 11 hours.
September 17, 1999
The Supreme Court of Canada upholds the Treaties of 1760 and 1761 - recognizing Mi’kmaq, Maliseet and Passamaquoddy rights to a moderate livelihood through hunting, fishing and gathering.
September 18, 1632
Scottish raiders, led by Andrew Forrester of Charlesfort, New Scotland (Port Royal, Nova Scotia), attack Fort Sainte-Marie in St. John harbour. Governor Charles de Saint-Étienne de La Tour later retaliates by robbing English traders at Machias (Maine).
September 18, 1758
Colonel Robert Monckton arrives at Partridge Island, with over 2000 troops, on orders to destroy Acadian settlements along the river St. John. Fort Frederick is established at the mouth of the river, near the location of an abandoned French fort.
September 18, 1845
Gas lighting is first introduced in Saint John.
September 18, 1959
The Beaverbrook Art Gallery is officially opened on Queen Street in Fredericton, by Dr. William Constable, former Curator of the Boston Art Gallery, and descendant of the English painter John Constable.
September 18, 1968
The village of Chipman is incorporated.
September 19, 1825
The Great Miramichi Fire begins - the largest fire ever recorded in the Maritimes. One fifth of New Brunswick, or about 9,656 square kms, burns - from the Northwest Miramichi to the outskirts of Fredericton.