Monday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Activities and events
There are no listed activities or events for the Fredericton Public Library. Contact us for more information.
Library Director - Julia Stewart
Head of Reference Services - Stephanie Furrow
Head of Young Adult and Adult Services - Erin Smith
Head of Children’s Services - Jessica Larocque
Circulation Supervisor - Sheila Grondin-Lyons
There are 130 metered spaces on the street and behind City Hall. Parking is free after 5pm and on Saturdays and Sundays.
About the Library:
Get your choice of the best books, magazines, newspapers, CDs or DVDs. We’ve got something for all ages! Search our collection thanks to our provincial catalogue. Find answers to your questions with the latest information.
There’s more to a library than books! We have activities for everyone. Use our public computers to surf the net, catch up on the news, write your resume, or tap into our online Databases and our Recommended Websites. The virtual branch of the New Brunswick Public Library Service, Electronic Library New Brunswick, is available 24 hours a day for eBook and audiobook downloads.
Ask for what you want to read. Just because something isn’t on your local library’s shelves doesn’t mean you can’t read it! Stop by, place a hold in our online catalogue, or give us a call to request an item and we’ll deliver it to the most convenient library for you.
Drop in... you’ll feel right at home!
- We are the capital city’s main public library.
- We are the Resource Centre for York Region, providing support to the other libraries in the region.
- We have over 150,000 books, magazines, newspapers, documents, CDs, DVDs, and videos.
- Our modern, well-equipped computer lab is open to the public.
- We are one of the busiest public libraries in the province with over 700 visitors per day.
- Room rentals are available – please contact us by telephone at 460-2812or by email for rental information.
Our Special Collections include:
- A reference-archival collection
- The Sun Life Financial Musical Instrument Lending Library is the first of its kind in New Brunswick, and also the first in Atlantic Canada. With generous support from Sun Life Financial through their Making the Arts More Accessible™ program, Fredericton Public Library is offering a collection of musical instruments. Guitars, ukuleles, violins, and keyboards are just a few of the types of instruments that can be borrowed for free with a New Brunswick Public Libraries card.
- We opened in 1955, moved to our current location in 1975, underwent a major renovation in 1991 and completed another renovation and expansion project in 2014.
- We published The History of the Fredericton Public Library in 1994, which is available through our catalogue.
Other public libraries in the City of Fredericton:
For information on other public libraries in the City of Fredericton, please click on the link to the Fredericton Public Library – Nashwaaksis, the Dr. Marguerite Michaud Library or the New Brunswick Library of Craft and Design.
Accessible Collections & Services
The library offers :
- Audiobooks on CD & Playaway
- Large print books
- Described videos
- Braille and print/Braille
- DAISY CDs (Talking Books)
- E-text, E-audio, E-braille
- Access to the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) and to Bookshare
- Access to the Service québécois du livre adapté (SQLA) (French only)
- Adaptive Computer Workstations and CCTV Units
In New Brunswick, public libraries exist as part of a partnership between the provincial government and participating municipalities or associations of persons. We gratefully acknowledge the contribution of the:
We would also like to acknowledge donations made by local community organizations and businesses. We thank you for your support.