Tuesday: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday: 2:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday: 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Activities and events
There are no listed activities or events for the Saint John Free Public Library, Central Branch. Contact us for more information.
Acting Library Director - Brian Steeves
Head of Reference Services - Keith MacKinnon
Acting Head of Young Adult and Adult Services - Daniel Teed
Head of Children’s Services - Heather McKend
Circulation Supervisor - Mark Goodfellow
Circulation Supervisor - Tina Kieffer
Parking is available on the street and in the underground parking garage.
Free parking is not available during the week. Please note that parking is free on Saturday on the street and in public parking lots.
About the Library:
Get your choice of the best books, magazines, newspapers, CDs or DVDs. We’ve got something for all ages! Search our collection thanks to our provincial catalogue. Find answers to your questions with the latest information.
There’s more to a library than books! We have activities for everyone. Use our public computers to surf the net, catch up on the news, write your resume, or tap into our online Databases and our Recommended Websites. The virtual branch of the New Brunswick Public Library Service, Electronic Library New Brunswick, is available 24 hours a day for eBook and audiobook downloads.
Ask for what you want to read. Just because something isn’t on your local library’s shelves doesn’t mean you can’t read it! Stop by, place a hold in our online catalogue, or give us a call to request an item and we’ll deliver it to the most convenient library for you.
Drop in... you’ll feel right at home!
- Located on the second and third floors in the Market Square complex, our library offers fantastic views of the Saint John Harbour, as well as paintings, sculptures and wall hangings featuring well-known Saint John and New Brunswick artists.
Our Special Collections:
- The Special Collections Room is an authentic re-creation of a 19th century Victorian salon. The focus of the collections is on New Brunswickana, Canadiana, and local history materials.
- An extensive collection of southern New Brunswick newspapers is available on microfilm.
- The Saint John Free Public Library, one of the oldest public libraries in Canada, was founded in 1883.
Accessible Collections & Services
The library offers :
- Audiobooks on CD & Playaway
- Large print books
- Described videos
- Braille and print/Braille
- DAISY CDs (Talking Books)
- E-text, E-audio, E-braille
- Access to the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) and to Bookshare
- Access to the Service québécois du livre adapté (SQLA) (French only)
- Adaptive Computer Workstations and CCTV Units
In New Brunswick, public libraries exist as part of a partnership between the provincial government and participating municipalities or associations of persons. We gratefully acknowledge the contribution of the:
We would also like to acknowledge donations made by local community organizations and businesses. We thank you for your support.