Government of New Brunswick

Governor Thomas Carleton orders the survey of a town at St. Anne’s Point, to be called “Frederick’s Town” (Fredericton), after His Royal Highness the Bishop of Osnabourg.


PANB

February 19, 1864 Professor and historian, William Francis Ganong is born in Saint John. Educated at Harvard, Ganong later develops a specialized interest in the geographical history of New Brunswick, documenting the historic sites and original placenames of the province.
February 20, 1954 Radio Station CBAF in Moncton begins broadcasting, providing a French-language service to the Maritimes.
February 20, 1863 Twenty-two-year-old Timothy Hegarty, of Miramichi, is promoted to Sergeant of the 6th Battery, Maine Light Artillery, in the American Civil War.
February 20, 1873 Historian, Prudent Mercure is born in Saint-Basile. A dedicated researcher, Mercure devotes most of his life to preserving the history of Madawaska.
February 20, 1845 The House of Assembly passes a motion of non-confidence in Lieutenant-Governor Sir William Colebrooke, and his Executive Council, after Colebrooke appoints his son-in-law, Alfred Reade, to the post of provincial secretary.
February 21, 1828 Eighteen-year-old Patrick Burgan, of York Point (Saint John), is hanged in Saint John for the theft of 25 cents.
February 21, 1801 The Shire Town for Westmorland County is changed from Westmorland to Dorchester.
February 22, 1785 Governor Thomas Carleton orders the survey of a town at St. Anne’s Point, to be called “Frederick’s Town” (Fredericton), after His Royal Highness the Bishop of Osnabourg.
February 22, 1895 A Woman's Suffrage Bill, introduced and championed by Henry R. Emmerson, Member of the Legislative Assembly for Albert County, is narrowly defeated in the House of Assembly by a vote of 18 to 17.
February 23, 1760 Passamaquoddy Chief Mitchel Neptune and Maliseet Captain Ballomy Glode renew the 1725 and 1749 Treaties of Peace and Friendship – affirming that the agreements “shall for ever thereafter be strictly observed”.
February 24, 1965 New Brunswick's flag is officially proclaimed. The symbols depicted on the flag were adopted from the Coat of Arms assigned in 1868.
February 24, 1906 A "million dollar fire" destroys much of the Intercolonial Railway Repair Shops in Moncton. The Hon. Henry Emmerson, Westmorland MP and the Minister of Railways and Canals, immediately cables the city promising to have the facilities rebuilt in Moncton.
February 24, 1785 Louis Mercure of Aukpaque (Hartt's Island, near Fredericton) writes to Major Holland (Surveyor General for Lower Canada), requesting settlement land for himself and 24 other displaced families - just below the falls of the Madawaska River.
February 24, 1888 In Sussex, George Francis Train announces his lecture series on “White Slavery” in New Brunswick; but the lecture is cancelled when “Old Martin” (a 72 year-old pauper) is prevented from appearing on stage by his owner.
February 25, 1785 The Great Seal of New Brunswick is sent from England by Lord Sydney to Governor Thomas Carleton.
February 25, 1651 Charles de Saint-Étienne de La Tour regains his position as Governor of Acadia.
February 25, 1610 At Dieppe (France), Jean de Biencourt de Poutrincourt sets sail for Acadia, to re-occupy the settlement of Port Royal (Nova Scotia). On board is seventeen-year-old Charles de Saint-Étienne de La Tour, returning to Acadia for the second time.
February 25, 1880 New Brunswick’s first Legislative Assembly building, “Province Hall”, is destroyed by fire in Fredericton. Located on the site of the current building, the cornerstone of Province Hall had been laid by Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Carleton in 1799.